What We Believe
This We Hold to Be True
As a community of Christ-followers we believe that our identity and purpose as human beings is rooted in the person of Jesus Christ. The Bible says that Jesus Christ alone is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). As the Son of God, Jesus gives direction, purpose, and ultimate meaning to life–the Way. Also, through the Word of God, the Bible, Jesus reveals to us the one true story of the world, of God creating, restoring and renewing all aspects of human life–the Truth. Finally, through the Spirit of God, Jesus promises: forgiveness for the sins and failures of our past; power and inner peace for today, and hope for us and our world for the future–the Life. We belong to the historic and global Church of Jesus Christ. Our faith and life has a Reformed “accent” as our tradition is in the Reformed branch of Christianity. Along with the broader Christian Church we believe in the basic articles of the Christian faith as summarized in the Apostles Creed.
The “Preamble” of a Contemporary Testimony, Our World Belongs to God, summarizes well what we believe.
1. As followers of Jesus Christ, living in this world—which some seek to control, and others view with despair—we declare with joy and trust: Our world belongs to God!
2. From the beginning, through all the crises of our times, until the kingdom fully comes, God keeps covenant forever: Our world belongs to God! God is King: Let the earth be glad! Christ is victor: his rule has begun! The Spirit is at work: creation is renewed! Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!
3. Still, despair and rebellious pride fill the earth: some, crushed by failure or broken by pain, give up on life and hope and God; others, shaken, but still hoping for human triumph, work feverishly to realize their dreams. As believers in God, we also struggle with the spirits of this age, resisting them in the power of the Spirit, testing them by God’s sure Word.
4. Our world, fallen into sin, has lost its first goodness, but God has not abandoned the work of his hands: our Maker preserves this world, sending seasons, sun, and rain, upholding all creatures, renewing the earth, promising a Savior, guiding all things to their purpose.
5. God holds this world with fierce love. Keeping his promise, he sends Jesus into the world, pours out the Holy Spirit, and announces the good news: sinners who repent and believe in Jesus live anew as members of the family of God—the firstfruits of a new creation.
6. We rejoice in the goodness of God, renounce the works of darkness, and dedicate ourselves to holy living. As covenant partners, set free for joyful obedience, we offer our hearts and lives to do God’s work in the world. With tempered impatience, eager to see injustice ended, we expect the Day of the Lord. We are confident that the light which shines in the present darkness will fill the earth when Christ appears. Come, Lord Jesus. Our world belongs to you.
To read a more in-depth summary of what we believe visit www.crcna.org/pages/beliefs.cfm.